- Stanhope Schroders is seeking “flexibility” on its Ruskin Square project.
- Menta’s revised planning application - for a 54 storey residential tower - is imminent.
- High rise residential towers are being built at Saffron Square and IYLO.
- Bargain hunting investors have bought Centrale and Lunar/Apollo Houses for remarkably cheap prices.
- Press scrutiny of the financial arrangements underlying the new Council offices.
- The intensifying squeeze on the Council’s budget.
- Public sector job losses – notably the Border Agency (c760 jobs) and Council (c310 jobs).
- The hope that government departments may be enticed to relocate from central London to Croydon.
- The departure of Croydon’s Head of Planning & Regeneration.
It appears that some trends are beginning to emerge in Croydon. “Gazing into the crystal ball” is also helped by a recent study of Croydon’s economic situation by the Centre for Cities. This note attempts to take stock of where Croydon is now. A separate note will attempt to predict where Croydon is likely to be in 5 years time - given current trends.